Tuesday morning 10:00 am we arrived at the hospital, got admitted and had to wait till 12:30 for a bed. I only found out then that the nurses were supposed to notify me the day before to come in later. It was so frustrating waiting and being so damn hungry all that time. When I got to my bed they gave me all the gear to change into - very attractive hospital gown, booties and a hair net thing (can't remember the proper name for it). We both read until about 14:15 when it was finally my turn. N kissed me and off they took me. When I rolled into the theater the anesthetist and FS (who I hadn't met before) were there waiting for me. My FS doesn't do surgeries anymore so his two colleagues from his practice do them. Dr G held my hand and explained everything that they were going to do while the anesthetist put the drip in and administered the anesthetic. In a few seconds I was out!
I woke up gasping for air but after having oxygen was fine but in pain. They gave me something for the pain then wheeled me back in to the room. I felt fine and was given tea and sandwiches, which went down so well. Shortly after the FS came and showed us before and after pictures which was so cool. He said everything went well, stage 2 Endo (which is mild) was removed and the septum was also removed. I was then told that I'd have to empty my bladder before they could discharge me. So I drank and drank as much as I could and eventually after 2 1/2 hours I needed to wee. N helped me to the loo and as I took that huge pad away there was just blood everywhere, running down my legs, on the toilet (TMI - sorry!) - everywhere! I thought I was fine but when I got back to bed I started shaking, felt so sick & dizzy and was in so much pain. They gave me something for the pain and I started feeling better eventually. At about 18:30 I was discharged and we went home.
N ran me a bath and right before I was going to get it, it hit me again - shaking, dizziness and nausea. It was bad. N helped me to bed where I had to have a Valtaren suppository and eventually slept for an hour or two. I woke up to go to the loo and as I sat on the loo it happened again. This time I started sweating as well. N gave me some sugar water and I could barely hold the glass. She helped me back to bed and we noticed the swelling. I was huge but just on one side. We knew I would swell but it didn't look right. N wanted to take me to the hospital but we both thought to wait a while and see if the feeling passed. And it did, eventually. I woke up super early and felt like shit, AND I had to feel like this on my birthday. N called the FS and they said that it was probably all from the anesthetic.
I finally got to bath then N went out and came back with tons of birthday treats - flowers, chocolate cake, biltong, chocolate slab, muffins, cappuccino, ice-cream and DVD's. She spoilt me so much! Even though I couldn't eat the majority of all the nice goodies it felt so good that N went to so much effort for me.
The nurse from the FS's offices called to see how I was feeling and reminded me of my follow-up appointment on the 18th.
I couldn't sleep normally and had four pillows under my head and a preggy pillow under my knees. This was the most comfortable position and luckily it allowed me to sleep so well on the second night.
Its been quite a ride and I honestly expected it to be so much easier. I didn't think there would be so much discomfort. I've been so swollen that I could not wear any of my tracksuit pants, nothing would fit over my stomach. I looked about 4 months pregnant - seriously!! Its only going down today and only last night was I able to sleep on my sides.
I'm on Estrofem for 21 days then Provera for 7 days. Thereafter I'll have another Hysteroscopy then hopefully we'll get to start IUI's again.
I'm so thankful for N. I couldn't imagine going through all this without her, she did everything for me from putting my socks on to being my nurse at 01:00 in the morning. Everyone needs an N in their lives!
It is so wonderful that you have N to support you! I had the laparoscopy to remove my uterine septum (and some mild endometriosis) the day before my birthday, too-- I remember feeling especially sorry for myself for feeling like such crap on my birthday. It is lovely to be spoiled by someone who loves you though.
ReplyDeleteJust remember to take it easy and give yourself all the time you need to recover. You are on your way! Did you get your health coverage to pay for it?
I am happy that the surgery is over, and im sorry about the bleeding incidents. It was probably scary. Its always great to have that rock behind you, helping you and supporting you.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!! dont worry you can eat those goodies later!!
Wow - that sounded pretty rough! I hope you're feeling much better now. Just keep remembering it will all be worth it when you're starting your IUIs.
ReplyDeleteHappy belated birthday...maybe you should celebrate on another day! One where you feel great. :) You deserve it.
Wow, I'm so glad you're feeling better now! That sounds hectic. I'd thought you were going to have something similar to my sister - she had her tubes cleared and the scarring/remains of a lot of ovarian cysts cleaned up, etc, but she just had keyhole surgery and felt fine in the next few days. Shame, hon!
ReplyDeleteMy husband had a laparoscopy in January (hmm, 3 days before HIS birthday too, what is it with that??) and he's still got scar-pain and stuff. Rest up and keep being thankful for the awesome N!
So glad you are home and are being well taken care of. Take it easy and try not to do too much.
ReplyDeleteI hope you're recovery is quick and that all this pain and hassle now means you get pregnant first try.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing like an overly concerned partner to wait on you hand and foot when you're feeling crap though. Makes you feel that little bit better having someone there for you.
Stumbled upon you site. Hoping for your speedy recovery.
ReplyDeletecongratulations on getting that done with. onto bigger and better baby things!
ReplyDeleteso sorry for the painful recover =( at least it didn't last that long and you're back on your feet. happy belated birthday as well!
ReplyDelete