The actual procedure went very well, there wasn't the tiniest bit of discomfort let alone pain. An hour before I took four Nuro.fen (Ibupro.fen) which definitely helped. When my doc said I was going to feel a burning / stinging sensation I expected the worse but didn't feel a thing. He injected the dye and I watched on the monitor but didn't really concentrate on what I was seeing as I was still expecting pain. I asked him if everything looked ok and he said that he'll talk to me once we're done, I should have known that something was wrong there and then. Our appointment for the consultation was over an hour away so we went to have a quick breakfast, but about five minutes after we left I got the most intense cramps ever. Seriously, I could barely talk, the pain just took my breath away. I took two more Nuro.fens and in about 10 minutes it started to subside. After breakfast we returned for our consultation appointment with the doc. He was so nice and quickly brought N up to speed on what his concerns were previously. Then he showed us an x-ray of a normal uterus and an x-ray of my uterus, and asked if we could see the difference. N immediately picked up that mine was not shaped the same. To my horror he began to explain that my uterus is concave on top which has something to do with a septum. He gave it a name but I have no clue what it was. Basically a fertilized egg would only have a small space to implant in and if by some miracle it did implant I would miscarry fairly early in the pregnancy. At this point I was close to tears thinking I would never bear a child. Then he added that I most probably have Endo.metriosis as well which is a big contributing factor to the amount of pain I have every month.
After all the bad news he said that it can be fixed by removing the fibrous (?) tissue on top of the uterus. He showed us a video clip of a procedure which he performed where the septum had divided the uterus completely and he had to cut the septum to make a normal single uterus.
Long story short I will have to undergo a Lap.aroscopy, Hyst.eroscopy, ablation of Endo.metriosis and a biopsy of the endometrim. AND this will all cost the same as an IVF procedure!! He seems confident that our medical aid will cover it but I know in South Africa our medical aids don't cover anything related to fertility.
Now the frustrating part - I will have to wait till the beginning of May to have these procedures and then only start with IUI's again in June (if all goes well). I know to some people this doesn't sound long but our last IUI was in February and I just feel like we're wasting so much damn time. That's what annoys me the most, oh and the fact that I'm booked to have the procedures the day before my birthday, that really sucks! They only do these procedures on Tuesdays and the Tuesday which I'm supposed to have it is a public holiday so it has to happen the week after.
After all this shitty news there are a couple of good things 1) My blood work all came back fine 2) I have immunity to Rubella (if I didn't I would have had to have gotten vaccinated now and waited another three months).
So that's my story. I'm really so upset about all this. Now instead of wondering "when" I'm wondering "if" it will ever happen.
I'm so sorry. I had to have a myomectomy (fibroid removed) and one of my tubes was blocked and I was also pretty upset about it. Two months after my surgery, though, I got a BFP. Hoping you experience the same. {{{}}}
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so sorry. What frustrating news! There's no good thing to say right now, but I'm thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteOh crap. I'm so sorry. How scary and frustrating. I guess the good thing is that they can do something about it, and that it seems like you should be able to conceive just fine afterward. I know the waiting is crazy-making. Hang in there and try to do lots of good things for yourself.
ReplyDeletewow that's a lot to take in all at once. i'm sorry. don't get disappointed though. doctors can do amazing things. have faith in this guy :) i wish you the best.
ReplyDeleteOh hon,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you are going through this. But what a tremendous relief you found out at this stage!
I had this problem-- I had an extremely large septum and a laparascopic removal of it. (You can look back in Oct 08 of my blog). The surgery was not fun-- I won't lie. I was on my back for a couple of days and probably should have been for longer. You will want to make sure you have lots of support. But the procedure itself is fairly routine and not dangerous at all. The one thing I would suggest you ask is whether a follow-up procedure to remove the scar tissue will be required. It was for me.
It stinks that you have to go through this but you just got a whole lot closer to the whole goal of having a baby! I had this done, and now I am pg! Please feel free to email me if you have any questions at all.
Hugs, K
That is very frustrating. We had to take some time off a few times and I always felt like it was forever. At least there is a solution though. :) Your BFP is still coming!
ReplyDeletei'm so sorry--but isn't it great to have some answers, maybe? i know it's little consolation, but it must be a relief at the same time. i bet insurance will end up covering--if it's connected to your lady-health, and causing you monthly pain, it should be covered under something besides infertility. science really works miracles--keep the hope and faith alive during this time off to make yourself in tip-top shape for your future babe.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear this. I'm glad it is something that is fixable though! It's good to know so many others have been through the same thing and had successful pregnancies.
ReplyDeleteim sorry sweety. lets talk positive things.. Its good to know that now rather than later, after you have tried for a long time. One test at a time, thats how im thinking/living. This can be fixed.
ReplyDeletePatience, something amazing will happen. I know it will.
Je pense à vous!
oh, ugh. sorry for the news. if you haven't already, i highly recommend checking out the listserve at the mullerian anomalies blog: http://mulleriananomalies.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete(septate uterus is in this class of anomalies...as are my double vagina and two cervices, which is why i know.)