My OB/GYN called me bright and early this morning to give me the results of the progesterone test. He says my levels are high enough so no meds will be necessary. He told me which Cryobank they use and said that on CD12 I should come in to check my follicle size and depending on the outcome we'll schedule the insemination anything from one to a couple of days time.
I called the Cryobank and got a printout of the donor database. I was quite dissapointed when I saw it. They only have five caucasian donors, I really thought there would be so many more to choose from. Basically they tell you their height, weight, complexion, colour of eyes, colour of hair, hobbies, career / education, blood type and ofcourse their race. When N gets home we'll look at it together but so far I've narrowed it down to two possible donors, both sound intellegant and sporty. It makes me wonder though how honest the donors are, do you really know what kind of sperm you're getting.

Wow, only white guys! That's crazy. Isn't there another sperm bank you can go through?
ReplyDeleteI hate the idea that these guys could lie on their details, but of course they totally could. I mean, they're hardly going to tell you if they have huge ears and flat feet, are they? Sorry, I'm not helping...
It's all going well for you so far, so I'm sure this bit will too! Good luck!
Nope that's the only one unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteI know its really scary, but its not like there's a bunch more options out there :-( I'm going to give them another call and ask about all these other traits that may come along with the donation, like big ears and flat feet :-)
Congratulations on such a new and exciting journey! I am sorry your donor choices are so limited. Could you switch to a different OB that works with a different bank, perhaps? So you would have more options? It seems like you should be able to have your choice of any bank in the country, but I am not sure how it works in South Africa.
ReplyDeleteOn the up side, no matter what the donor is like, you're baby would still be raised by you two and become fabulous that way!
I just started reading your blog, btw. Loved hearing about the wedding!
Thank you so much! Unfortunately I'm really comfortable with our OB/GYN so I don't really want to change. Our choices are fairly limited here in SA.
ReplyDeleteOur wedding pics should come in soon so stay tuned :-)