Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thursday

The surprise weekend for N didn't turn out as planned. I searched and searched for places about an hour away for us to stay at but being a long weekend the choice was limited. The one I found I thought was lovely but it was totally NOT. Before we left I took N for a massage and a scrumptious breakfast. We then left to our destination. The instant we drove up the driveway of this place it felt off. We eventually found the guy that ran the place (the owners son) and he started showing us into the wrong place. They had put someone else into the studio that I had booked. Eventually they asked the other guy to go into the other apartment and showed us in. Arghhhh! It was horrible! It wasn't filthy but definitely wasn't up to my standard of cleanliness. We got our stuff in and went for a walk around which took two minutes (after seeing all the activities offered in the area, as advertised on their website). The place was in need of some serious TLC. Beside for the appearance of it, being inside just felt strange, I didn't feel myself in this place. The more we looked around the more creeped out I was. The owners were a couple of artists. The deceased husband was a sculptor and his work was displayed all over the studio in which we stayed, he also built the whole place himself. We went through a desk in the studio in the hope to find some pamphlets of the activities in the area and instead found some of his personal items and books of things he had written (all in his handwriting). I don't know when or how he died but seeing all this stuff and getting that feeling in that place just made things worse.

If I had had my way we would have left immediately but N insisted that we stay and see how it goes. That night I slept all of an hour, I was so nervous and uneasy that I couldn't bear it. I prayed so much to get through the night. The instant I saw the sun rising I was relieved, when N woke up we packed our things and left.

Unfortunately I had to pay for the next night that we weren't staying there but I didn't care at the time I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Luckily the rest of the day was really good. We went to the Lion and Rhino Reserve which we both loved, the Wonder Caves and then ventured back home.


Countingchickens that is so awesome that you worked in Mozambique, I haven't been there but I hear parts are really gorgeous. What did you do there, if you don't mind me asking?

3 comments:

  1. i felt the same way at a place that i was in while had vacation in costa rica.. i just felt, dirty. lol... good thing it was only one night! just to see the volcano's.

    happy you made it back! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at the US Embassy in Maputo. Though I spent some time in Johannesburg and a very little time in Cape Town, I spent an enormous amount of time in Kruger and Nelspruit - as it had the nearest civilization (movie theater, etc.)! Some days I cry thinking of South Africa. I just wish I could be there. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete