Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Brace yourself this is gonna be long!

So Sunday I took a OPK and it was negative as I mentioned in my last post, which I thought was a little strange. On Monday morning I woke up super early and did another one which was also negative. I started to panic thinking that I got a pack of duds. The minute the pharmacy opened I was there getting a new pack (more expensive and with less tests). I waited till the afternoon to test and again it was negative. I knew something was wrong but though I'd leave it till the next morning, which I did. Again early yesterday morning I did another OPK and it was negative. So in a fit of panic I called my gynae and asked the nurse for advice. She said that I should rather come in for a follicle scan as she wasn't sure how accurate the urine OPK's are. I was trying to avoid going for a follicle scan as its really expensive (they charge for the scan and for a consultation), but I was too scared that I'd miss the right time and I'd have to wait another month - pure torture!!

Luckily they had an opening at 12:45. The whole morning was so damn stressfull, my mom fell a few weeks back and I had to take her for x-rays. It sounds so simple but my mom has MS and to take her in a wheel chair takes time and patients, something I didn't have. Fortunately for me my gynae is right next to the hospital where she had her x-rays taken, so I dropped her off and went to check my lady bits.

After waiting an hour to see the doc I eventually got to have my scan. I told him what had being happening with the OPKs and he said that he doesn't trust any urine tests - OPKs or pregnancy. He started with the scan and found a large follicle (22mm) and I was so happy, but that was soon crushed. He took a look from a different angle and said "oh dear it looks like it may have already ruptured". He showed me some slightly gagged edges, which didn't really look like much to me but he's the professional he must know what he's looking at. I immediately got tears in my eyes, thinking we'd missed the window. He obviously saw this and said not to worry if I'm able to go now to get an insemination I'll still have a chance. I flew out of his office and called N in a panic, told her to meet me at home so that we could go. Bearing in mind that it was already 14:15 and the Cryo.bank does their last insemination's at 15:00. I quickly picked my mom up and went home.

N and I drove as quick as we could without me getting another speeding fine. We got there right on time and after a quick chat to the technician about the quality of our donor's sperm we decided to change our donor. Our new man is shorter than our previous one (which probably suits N & I more) and with blue eyes not green. There's other characteristics that differ but I won't get into that now. Anyway we did the insemination and went home.

From that afternoon I noticed that my CM had changed dramatically and I was worried that the gynae had made a mistake, that the follicle hadn't ruptured. We had previously decided that it was pointless doing a second insemination as it would be too late, but this change made me wonder.

This morning when I woke up my CM was again different, according to the internet this was what I was supposed to get when ovulating. So we bit the bullet and went for a second insemination. Waste of money or worth it I don't know.

So that's my story. Now we wait. Two long weeks.

7 comments:

  1. relax :) i know that's the hardest thing to do now, but try. i'm crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, honey, I wish you the best of luck!! Fingers crossed that the timing ended up being perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least you've covered your bases! Good luck with the tww.... I did find that my list has thus far worked wonders! I am Very Busy All The Time.
    Good luck. I hope this one is THE one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for all your encouragement and well wishes, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been reading for a while, and am rooting for you guys! My wife and I are in the 'planning' stages, and can only image what it's like!

    ReplyDelete