Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wednesday

We've been considering doing a double IUI, but the timing seems to be an issue. I've done some research and found this which seems to have shed some light (only the first two pages are relevant). But I'm still not sure what the best times would be when having the trigger shot. First IUI 20 - 24 hours after trigger, second IUI 36 - 40 hours after trigger, does this sound right? What confuses things more is that I can't seem to find out how long the sperm lives once it gets inside, previously frozen sperm that is. The Cryo.bank says it can live for 24 hours but I've heard that it can only live for 6 hours.

Why do professionals all give conflicting advice?! I'd love some proper advice on the timing especially.

4 comments:

  1. My clinic does the insem 24 hours after the trigger. The trigger is supposed to make you ovulate within 36 hours, and I believe this is right-- I think I ovulated about 30 hours after. The egg is capable of being fertilized for about 24 h after ovulatiion, so a second insem at about 36-40 h after trigger sounds perfect to cover all basee, even if the sperm only lives 6 hours, which seems a little short, but it's worth being on the safe side.

    Good luck this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect, thanks for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our midwife does the IUI 36 hours after the trigger. I have read somehwere that frozen sperm can only live about 12 hours.

    We are considering two inseminations this cycle too. We have not done this previosuly because a lot of the research indicates that one IUI at 36 hours is just as accurate as two IUI's during a cycle, but I am tired of BFN's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We feel the same, we're willing to try anything to improve our chances.

    ReplyDelete