Monday, April 20, 2009

Rings and things

After meeting with the dress maker on Saturday we had a quick breakfast then met with the ring designer / jeweller. I originally wanted a band on either side of my engagement ring but for a while I've thought of rather going the more traditional route of having only one wedding band. Luckily she had such a gorgeous one that I could try on. It was the perfect fit and I loved it! There are two issues though - firstly its R5 000 (thats about $500) more than the other two and secondly it has round diamonds instead of princess cut diamonds. The jeweller did say that it might be possible to take those diamonds out and replace them with princess cut ones. It should take a couple of days for her to let me know for definite. N was so great about me changing my mind, she simply said that I have to wear it for the rest of my life so she'll get me what I like.
...
The new one that I love


The second option


N's ring was ready so we got that as well. We're happy with it, although I didn't realise that the titanium was so greyish, but N loves it so its ok.


The rest of Saturday was spent baking. I definitely took on too much but the results were worth it. My mom loved it. We had 18 people so my mom was surrounded by people which is what she needs. She's not doing too well so she needs to know that there are so many people that care about her.

Here's some of the goodies that I baked:



From the left - Peanut Butter and Carrot Cake, Banana Bread, Melting Moments and Savoury Tart. I also made Cream Scones (the Joy of Baking recipe is definitely the best I've made). I highly recommend the Peanut Butter & Carrot Cake (especially the icing) and the Savoury Tart, they were loved by all.

Peanut Butter and Carrot Cake
(Source: Black Cat Peanut Butter Recipe Book)

Cake
400ml Cake Flour
15ml Baking Powder
5ml Cinnamon
3ml Salt
250ml Honey (I used 125ml Honey & 125ml Sugar)
100g Butter
100g Peanut Butter
3 Eggs
100g Walnuts (I omitted this)
250g Carrots
5ml Vanilla Essence

Mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Beat the honey, butter and peanut butter together, add the eggs beating well after each addition. Add the mixed dry ingredients, carrots and vanilla essence. Bake in 2 x 20cm greased cake tins at 170°C for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden brown.

Icing
125g Peanut Butter
400ml Icing Sugar
125ml Cream Cheese
5ml Vanilla Essence

Using an electric beater blend all the ingredients until smooth (I added a bit of milk to soften it a little). Use for filling and topping once cake has cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment