Sunday, December 13, 2009

A sad day

We got a call early this afternoon from our very good friend, M. He was crying almost uncontrollably and told us that his boyfriend of three years, Paul, had died in a plane crash this morning. I couldn't grasp what he was saying, it didn't even feel real. I still remember thinking any minute now its going to come out that it was a cruel joke but it wasn't. We took my mom her lunch and went straight there. It was so sad being there, M was in such a state, we just held him and cried with him. What do you do in this situation?? I know from when my dad died that nothing anybody says will make it better, all you feel like doing is going to sleep and never waking up again.

M and Paul are our two closest gay friends. They would have been the god parents to our future child. Paul has been flying for years and co-owns two planes (one two seater and one aerobatic). He had only two more hours of flying left on the new plane (the aerobatic one) before he got his license and was able to fly solo. He was our MC at our wedding and M was N's best man. Paul was kind, generous, highly intelligent and an all round amazing person, who will be sadly missed.

Apparently what happened was they did a trick (a loop I think) and couldn't get enough momentum coming out of it and went straight into the ground propeller first. They said the death was instant. Paul's two business partners will identify the body in the morning - required by law apparently.

3 comments:

  1. Trinity, this is incredibly sad news. I know I always feel a bit at a loss as to what to do in a situation like this. Grief can feel overwhelming, it can also be helpful and necessary too. Given that you are in South Africa, I work for an organization called More to Life that has centres in SA. You might check them out to see if it would be the kind of support that might be the right fit for M, or you and N. Much love.
    http://www.moretolife.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that's awful. I'm so sorry for your loss. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the info Erica I'll definitely have a look at what More to life offers.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete