Monday, July 20, 2009

Back to baking - Part 3

I've been wanting to make this cake for some time now. I remember when I was young, my grandmother used to make it for us and it was heavenly. I've searched for her original recipe but couldn't find it, I did find one that was quite good but didn't have that crisp sweet orange flavour that I remember so well.

Orange Cake
(Source: Flop Proof Baking)

1 cup Sugar
160ml Butter
Zest of 1 Orange
2 Eggs, separated
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
2 cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch Salt
175ml Orange Juice
75ml Water

Cream the sugar and butter. Add the orange zest, egg yolks and vanilla essence.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the orange juice and water. Blend gently.
Whisk egg whites till soft peaks are formed and fold into mixture.
Pour into a large rectangular baking dish.
Bake for 20 - 30min on 170°C.

Glaze

60ml Orange Juice
1/2 cup Water
Zest of 1 Orange
75ml Sugar
2 Tbs Corn Flour
2 Tbs Butter

Add all the above ingredients to a sauce pan and whisk whilst bringing to the boil.
Remove from heat and poke holes in cake with toothpick.
Pour glaze over the cake while still warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment