It's pouring with rain here and I couldn't love it more! When we woke up the sun was shinning and it was warm, but suddenly that changed. I love having it rain while I'm at work, its so soothing and it dulls out the voices of my co-workers (sis that's mean!). I'm waiting for the rain to subside a little then I'm off to buy champagne. We're having some snacks and drinks at lunch time for a colleague's service award.
An ex of mine went to live in the UK a few years ago. We've since kept contact and yesterday she sent me the pictures of her sisters wedding. Her sister is also gay and got married in December last year. I was quite shocked to see how everything had turned out. One of the reasons is because both of the woman are tomboys (and quite butch) and I would never imagine either of them in a dress and funnily enough both of them wore dresses with a fairly large amount of make-up and flowers in their hair. Each to her own I suppose but I thought it was a bit odd, especially with all they hype surrounding the wedding.
Which brings me to another topic concerning gay marriage. Why is it that gay people always want to be treated equally and seen as equals but when it comes to planning their weddings they don't want it to be anything like a straight couples wedding. Ofcourse I'm not referring to ALL soon-to-be-married gay people, but I came across a few blogs over the last couple of days of woman planning their weddings and not wanting this & that and striving to be different. Whats the point? I know everyone wants some aspects of their wedding to be unique and they want it to be remembered....but in a good way not in a strange way. I know this isn't only the case with gay couples, as there are some strange straight wedding idea's I've read of and seen as well. My point is this (as I've mentioned before) - its your wedding day, you'll only have one (hopefully), one day to celebrate joining your lives, so it shouldn't be just another social gathering with a few quirks it should be special and well planned and yes a big fuss should be made of it - its your wedding dammit!!
I think what probably bugs me more is that people take marriage far too lightly. This is where the traditionalist in me comes out - marriage should be for life. You should be absolutely certain that the person that you're marrying is the one for you. You should be prepared for the times when things aren't perfect, because these days will come. And you should be prepared to work on it everyday. So many people don't think like this. They fall in love, they get caught up in the feeling and loose perspective.
Since gay marriages were legalized in South Africa in December 2006, I hear of and see so many couples getting engaged and married, and I really don't think a lot of them will last. A couple we know of got married a few weeks ago, in an "understated" ceremony. These two break up every month, not just fight they actually break up, now how can you get married when your relationship is so unsteady already? It amazes me really!
No comments:
Post a Comment